Thursday, November 29, 2012

Week Four.

Things I don't like:
1. November is almost over. & I missed out on all my favorite fall activities because I've been sailing around the Mexican riviera. Life is hard.
2. I still do not own Taylor Swiftys new album. Tragic. But the spiral notebook I use at work has her face on the cover & makes me happy.
3. I'm on the top bunk..which I like..but the ceiling is so low that I can't sit up straight in bed. So as you can imagine, I hit my head on the ceiling every single day.

November 11. Sunday.
This Sunday was exciting! We were all so anxious to get off the ship. A group of us met up for brunch in the French quarter at a fabulous restaurant called Oceania. Then the six of us hopped in cab & headed over to the mall. Our driver kept his window down for most of the ride so he could better yell "Who Dat?!" at all the pedestrians. (I don't get it either...it's a New Orleans Saints thing. & that's a NFL team for those of you who are still confused & have never watched Keeping Up With The Kardashians.)

At the mall Rosie and I went on a hunt for fabulous glittery costumes for the Christmas show. (None of us were contracted for an official Christmas show but the Cruise Director always asks the cast to throw something together two days before & it apparently is always awful. So James & Rosie, the amazing British married couple, have been developing a Christmas show for the past few years with the hopes that NCL will buy it from them to be produced on every ship in the fleet. I've been helping them coordinate the costumes and hunt down the best deals in the French Quarter. For someone who's directionally challenged its amazing I actually know my way around there!

We booked it back to the ship and I ran immediately into a fitting with our three new male dancers that had just arrived! Then the rest of the cast preformed their mini shows Lets Get Loud, Mama Mia & Latin. I follow them around to every performance like a proud big sister...also it's my job. Then later that night Jessica & I hung out with two of our guy friends from the Second City.

November 12. Monday.
Sea Day! I had another fitting with the new boys & the cast had rehearsals all day to re-block the shows again. That night my girls performed Shout, the mod musical.

That afternoon was different because I started a new little job on board working at the live art auction. I helped register people, & handed out bid cards as they came in. Then during the live auction I stood at the front of the room with the auctioneer and write down the tracking numbers and bid prices for each piece of art that comes up. My job title is "Bubble Girl". I'm not really sure why, but I like getting paid for doing minimal labor and smiling at people!

November 13. Tuesday.
Back to my favorite port, Costa Maya! A big group of us met on the gangway at 11am and took a van to a chic hotel right on the beach called Forty Cannons. Free wifi, guacamole, & cozy chase lounges. What more do you need?

Unfortunately, I had to leave early to make it back in time for safety class....which then got canceled. Annoying. So I went to the gym & then went to work on fixing the costumes for the new boys. It got pretty disheartening having to tear out all the work I'd just done on these costumes for the previous dancers. So my fabulous friend Martina ordered a pizza to her room and I hemmed the rest of the pants in her bed. Extra pepperoni & blue velvet bell bottoms. My life is wild.

November 14. Wednesday.
Back to Belize. We all had a mandatory drug awareness class that morning. Who doesn't love racist, inaccurate, mildly inappropriate Power Point presentations at 8:45am?

Band On The Run opened that night! & I accidentally walked into a closet instead of a hallway for the second day in a row.

November 15. Thursday.
Boat drill that morning. The worst. Followed by an Entertainment Department meeting. Then I had to conduct weigh-ins for the entire cast. Awkward. Everyone hates it, for obvious reasons. But on the performers contracts its written in that they have to stay within a five pound radius of their weight from when they signed on. It's nice that there is an accountability program in place because altering everyone's costumes after too many trips to the buffet (or gym) would be terrible.

After that Jessica, Martina, & I immediately hoped off the boat and had lunch in Roatan, Honduras! When we got back on board we tanned on the top deck & then I went to work for a little bit. I spent the rest of the afternoon blogging! (To please my dear Mother) That night I watched the singers perform their beautiful Broadway Cabaret & then got drinks and talked for hours with my favorites, James & Rosie!

November 16. Friday.
Safety class that morning. I can't even explain how much it pains my soul. Then off to play in Cozumel! Jess & I had nap time when we got back. & Then we had the White Hot party. At this point I am basically a pro at The Wobble. (It's a line dance dad..)

November 17. Saturday.
Sea day! Elements rehearsal that morning & then worked at the art auction. Two elements performances that night. After the first show Rosie informed me that the jellyfish was broken. (During the water portion of the show she plays a jellyfish in the background by moving a fabric covered umbrella up and down. It actually looks pretty cool.) So I sprinted down the I-95 to my room to grab my personal umbrella & we attached the jellyfish material to it. I saved the day AND got reimbursed for my umbrella. Boom. Everyone was just so happy we survived another week & our new dancers were fabulous!!

No comments:

Post a Comment