Thursday, November 22, 2012

Week Three.


November 5. Monday.
This was the first sea day of our Western Caribbean itinerary! The cast had rehearsals all morning & then a tech rehearsal of Band on the Run. We had two performances that night. It went well but was weird being down three dancers. The audience still loved it & had no idea this was newly created watered down version of the show.

November 6. Tuesday.
(Kaleighs birthday!!)
First stop: Costa Maya!
The cast had rehearsal to re-block Elements all day. Some of the creative team back in the states said it couldn't be done but Kim proved them wrong. I passed out cold on the floor in the theater and napped through most of it. That afternoon Martina, the only female singer who was done with rehearsal, got off the boat with me in Costa Maya. It was gorgeous & so fun! The area around the port has been recently built and has lots of cute restaurants & shops. We forgot our wallets on the ship, but of course I charmed the manager of SeƱor Frogs into giving us some free treats.

November 7. Wednesday.
Second stop: Belieze
The water is so shallow around Belieze that the cruise ships have to anchor away from the island and load up the passengers onto smaller tender boats to get ashore. We had safety class that morning...which is the absolute bane of my existence. It's a several week training course that still isn't over. I hate it.

Anyways, some of my friends ventured over to Belieze but I had to stay on the ship for a tech rehearsal. And sadly Kim flew home to NYC. We had two performances of Shout that night. Afterwards most of the company went out to the Beir Garden, this cool open air bar patio on the top deck. If crazy things have to keep happening on this cruise then I'm glad I get to survive it with these fantastic people!

November 8. Thursday.
Third stop: Roatan, Honduras
Every Thursday the entire crew has a mandatory boat drill. It's almost as bad as safety class. Every crew member is assigned a safety station the first day on board. When the captain sounds the general emergency alarm (every Thursday at 10am....ugh) you must report to your station and put on a super attractive life jacket. And proceed to stand there for the thirty minutes in 90% humidity while everyone gets checked in. Thankfully, two hilarious dancers, Sophie & Montana, are at my station too. We take silly pictures and people look at us funny. Fun times. Anyways, no one was feeling that well that day so we all went back to bed. Jessica & I cuddled and watched movies and didn't do anything productive. It was marvelous.

November 9. Friday.
Fourth stop: Cozumel
Safety training was actually exciting that day! Safety Simon (the ships safety officer) took us up in a lifeboat. We had to climb up a ladder to get into it and he showed us the first aid supplies kept inside. You can tell this ship is European because there is absolutely no way 115 modern day Americans would be able to fit in it. Thank you McDonalds.

After class, we bolted off the ship to go explore Cozumel! We ate at a fun Mexican restaurant, sombreros included. & then headed over to a cool hotel that's the unofficial NCL crew hang out spot. The hotel opened up right onto the beach, has a pool, & giant dock perfect for dramatically leaping off of. Some of the dancers and I swam over to Margaritaville & jumped on a giant floating water trampoline they had. Too fun and perfect. The whole thing is like a scene out of a movie.

Before heading back to the ship, Jessica and I went shopping in the Mexican equivalent of Walmart. We looked pretty ridiculous walking back down the road loaded down with bags and a giant purple rig for our cabin. (Don't worry, I'll upload pictures to Facebook soon!) Back on board, I went to the gym and worked out with my new Serbian personal trainer friend Slavey. (All the Eastern Europeans make fun of me for not being able to pronounce my last name correctly.) Then later that night the dancers preformed at the White Hot party.

November 10. Saturday
We were at sea all day cruising back up to New Orleans. & We had two elements performances that night.

Whenever we are walking around the boat passengers usually recognize the cast and compliment their performance. The best part is that they know I'm with them, but can't place my face, so they just compliment me too! & No, I never correct them unless they ask what I do. Too cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment