Friday, November 9, 2012

Anchors Away

Hello all my fabulous people! I am sorry I'm the worst at keeping in touch. I'm trying! & in my defense my first two weeks I worked over 90 hours each. Insanity. So then obviously this week, number three, I've been sleeping as much as possible. I really have been enjoying this new adventure. It's been a challenge & there have been moments when I wanted to jump off the side of the ship..but I'm good at what I do & and the hardest part is over!

I am going to attempt summing up the first two weeks, aka the "reposition cruise". Basically anything that could go wrong, did. And anything that could've been hard, was. But I'm Teale Dvornik and I whipped everything back into shape and all of our shows opened successfully!

Day 1. Sunday 10/21.
We got bused from the hotel to the port in NYC & proceeded to wait in line forever before they'd let us board the ship. Once on board we were ushered into one of the restaurants to turn in paperwork & take a quick safety tour with a fire marshal. We all felt like abandoned puppies and had to find our bags and rooms by ourselves. We were literally holding hands wandering around completely lost. But let's be real, I do that every day. I finally made it to the dressing rooms with the three giant suitcases of costumes from Florida & immediately started cleaning and organizing everything. Shocking. The girl who held this position before me wasn't big on organization but one of my strengths is creating order from chaos. And after surviving those two weeks I can say for a fact that tackling giant disasters is my specialty.

Soon after we left the port my cast of 14 loud personalities came in for a fitting...into costumes they'd never tried on before....for the show they would be performing in a few hours. No pressure. Luckily, two stitchers boarded the ship with me that day to help with all the sewing for the duration of the repo cruise. Carolyn is hilarious, from tampa, 50 years young and more outgoing than I am. She is my adopted cruise ship mom. & Taylor is 22, recent FSU grad, sassy in an anti-cheerleader way. We were quite the trio. So we finished the costumes in time for there short "Vacation" mini-show & got right back to work! We worked until about 2am getting everything organized, altered, and ready for the next day.

Ok, so I have to run get ready for tonight's show, but tomorrow ill tackle summarizing the rest of the repo cruise for y'all. It's still so funny to me everyday that I live and work in a ship. But I suppose the Navy is in my blood!

No comments:

Post a Comment