Thursday, November 15, 2012

Week Two.

Day 8. 10/28. Sunday.
It was a sea day & we slept in to celebrate surviving the first week before we jumped into the next show, Elements. This show is insane. It's a modern dance show that also features a magician and an aerialist couple. The show depicts all the different elements...earth, water, air, fire, & snow. The producer clearly thought long and hard before naming the show. Costume wise, Elements was challenging to alter because everything is either spandex or elastic netting. And since the costumes weren't maintained properly everything was falling apart. Fun stuff!! We knocked out all the fittings and got to work. That night I had a dinner meeting with our production manager, the dance captain, voice captain, & flight captain. We had sushi & talked about leadership, communication, and what craziness the rest of our contract would consist of. I love being surrounded by such interesting people.

Day 9. 10/29. Monday.
Since Carolyn, Taylor, & I were in such a good place with the Elements costumes I said we could get off the boat and do touristy things for awhile! We were in CuraƧao & I'm still not sure where that is.. The city was bustling and the buildings were all painted bright colors. Very key west. At lunch I got wifi for the first time & called mama stoney! I miss my family like crazy. When we got back on board we went back to work for a little. & then I went out dancing with three of the hilarious male dancers. I'm glad I'm ridiculously confident because dancing with professional dancers is no joke.

Day 10. 10/30. Tuesday.
We worked on costumes for a few hours in the morning & then went out to explore Aruba! It was very flat. Instead of wandering around the tacky tourist area right by the port, we got on a hilarious looking open air tour bus. We saw the majority of the island in 2 hours.

Day 11. 10/31. Wednesday.
It's was a sea day & we worked late. I loved seeing the passengers decked out in their Halloween costumes headed to dinner. That night there was a party for all crew in one of the restaurants. I re-used my Statue of Liberty costume. Never gets old. I was a little sad i wasn't celebrating my second favorite holiday in Birmingham. Side note: since the majority of the crew is from Asia, I was one of the tallest in the room. Gotta love it. The highlight of the party was when the guy who was talking to me looked over my shoulder & was like, wow there's the captain. I promptly said see ya & walked up and met him! Of course I pretended I had no idea who he was. I'm so smooth. He is from Greece & has visited clearwater! But seriously, I can't thank the Tragos family enough for expanding my cultural horizons by taking me to Greek Easter. Anyways, the Captain said he'd love to give the Dvornik family a tour of the bridge when they come to visit! Boom.

Day 12. 11/1. Thursday.
How in the world is in November?! It was a sea day & we had a cue to cue tech rehearsal for Elements. Later that night was the dress rehearsal for another bumper, Mama Mia. That night at dinner I tried starting a conversation with the cutest old man, and of course he only spoke German. I quickly got Carolyn to teach me how to say "Hello" & "My name is. In German and when I went back over to the man and said the phrases his entire face lit up. It was amazing. He took my hands, smiled, and in English said "God bless you." My immediately heart melted. Those are the absolute best moments in life.

Day 13. 11/2. Friday.
We made it to Cozumel but didn't get off the boat because it was finally Elements show day! We had an early morning dress rehearsal & then immediately ran the show again. Crazy day, but everything went very well. That night we went out for a fabulous Italian dinner before going to the White Hot Party the dancers preformed at.
& I've decided that I like mountainous, or volcanically formed tropical places the best. Mexico is really flat. & I keep running into the awkward moments where I try to be charming and make a cute joke to start a conversation with a passenger or crew member and they don't speak English.

Day 14. 11/3. Saturday.
This was a very bittersweet day. It was finally opening night for Elements! But I was sad because Taylor & Carolyn would leave me the next day when we docked in New Orleans. It was super busy with a dress rehearsal that morning and two shows that night. Of course i cried during intermission outside while fixing the skirt of a Water costume a dancer had completely torn off. & After the show the cast and crew went out together that night to celebrate. These people are all so amazing & I genuinely love being their number one cheerleader every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment