Thursday, November 15, 2012

Week One.

I'm currently on the front sun deck enjoying the view of the beautiful Honduras mountains. Surreal. I haven't had time to sit down & blog, but I've taken little notes about each day and deciphering them is hilarious.

Day 2. 10/22. Monday.
Early Monday morning we headed back into the dressing room & got back to the grind. I don't have a full costume shop..it's just two long dressing rooms with a connecting door. The boys (4 male dancers & 2 male singers) came in for a fitting for all their "Band On The Run" costumes. (The show is all really energetic 1970s music) They each have 6 different costumes for that show alone. Crazy town. Then the girls had a fitting. They all have at least 6 costumes each. After that I left my stitchers with all the alteration notes & headed to the tech rehearsal for "Shout" the mod musical. I ran the quick changes backstage and took any costume notes the director gave. Luckily the girls were fitted in all of those costumes before they left Florida so there wasn't anything major to fix. My stitchers were hilarious and kept me laughing even though I was exhausted. I got to stay in a passenger cabin by myself, so that was a nice treat after a hard day of work & constantly getting lost.

Day 3. 10/23. Tuesday.
Started off the morning by meeting a cute Second Officer in the elevator! & both dress rehearsals of Shout went great. Busy day & another late night working. The highlight was the spontaneous 1am dance party that happened in the dressing room when the two Australian male dancers came to visit.

Day 4. 10/24. Wednesday.
We had a morning Shout dress rehearsal. It's a really cute show staring 5 female singers. Opening night was a success! We had two performances. I love the cast. Everyone is so sweet. Two of the performers not in this show help me backstage with the quick changes. After the second show the two stitchers and I worked late into the night again.
My favorite part of ship life so far is talking to the passengers! I love it. We eat all our meals in the buffet on the top deck. Haven't gotten to explore the ship much since we've been working so hard. The ship is always moving and shaking. It's so weird! I really miss Samford & the seasons. October is my favorite month & it's strange not to be in school.

Day 5. 10/25. Thursday.
After four sea days we finally made it to St. Thomas! The water was a gorgeous blue and looked like melted Skittles. This was the craziest day so far. We had a technical rehearsal in full costume in the morning. The costumes we have on the ship are all I have to work with & two of the dresses just weren't right so we were sent on a shopping mission. The stitchers & I go off the boat for two hours and ran around trying to find the right dresses for the show. Found two great ones on sale....and neither of them ended up being used. Typical. But they are getting used in a different show so my efforts weren't in vain. That evening we had dress rehearsals for two miniature numbers also known as bumpers. A bumper is about a 7 minute set of singing & dancing. They rehearsed the Latin bumper & a bumper called "Lets Get Loud" by the pool. It's hard to believe I've been here for five days, probably because I've just been living in the theater..but what's new?!

Day 6. 10/26. Friday.
Didn't have any time to get off the boat in St. John. We had to dress rehearsals of Band On The Run. I'd worn a cute dress every day up to this point but I broke my streak and just had to wear Nike shorts and a big t-shirt. & the production manager pointed this out to the amused group during a meeting.

Day 7. 10/27. Saturday.
I think we were in Barbados. No time to get off the boat since it was opening night!! I wrote my cast individual little notes & put them at each of their dressing room seats. I'm just the cutest. We had a final dress rehearsal that morning & two shows that night. I had a mini breakdown, as a result of my exhaustion, while sewing the sleeves on a YMCA Village People t-shirt. What is my life? I had a good cry on the deck, pictured my Dad laughing at me & rallied. You just can't take yourself too seriously in this industry because its often ridiculous. After the show I went out with the cast and entire production team. Fabulous night with amazing people.

No comments:

Post a Comment