Friday, December 7, 2012

Week Five.

Currently I'm sitting in the dark in a freezing lounge watching a dress rehearsal. & I just ate some cold popcorn for lunch. Glamorous.

For thanksgiving week I made every cast member a glittery turkey for their dressing room spot! I am the cutest.

November 18. Sunday.
We hit the Mississippi River at about 11pm & get cell reception by midnight. It's always exciting. & Cruising up the River is a little creepy because its pitch black out but all the shining lights from the oil rigs and industrial factories make it feel like you're entering a post-apocalyptic world.

Sunday morning Rosie, Dana, & I headed to one of the most famous shopping establishments in America: Walmart. What a treat. I really do wish there had been a camera crew recording the three of us pushing all our bags through the ships security station at the gangway. Disaster. It was hilarious trying to maneuver down the crowded hallways with a million bags and two big plastic storage containers.

We dropped our bags and headed to meet James for lunch in the French quarter. I devoured a delicious pulled pork po-boy. I just love the South. Anyways, we shopped all day for more Christmas show stuff & then headed back to the ship for rehearsal & three bumper performances.

November 19. Monday.
Sea day! I worked at the art auction that morning. An adorable old man asked if he could bid on me. Hilarious. That afternoon I had fittings with the new magician & his assistant for their Elements costumes. They're a hilarious duo from England & will be with us through January. Then later that night we had two performances of Band on the Run! Busy day.

November 20. Tuesday.
Costa maya! We had safety class that morning & it was firefighting training day. Oh yes. Get ready to chuckle. First, Safety Officer Paul & two firemen took us down to deck 3 and informed us we'd be doing a simulation as if we were entering a smoke filled room. They walked us down these steep stairs and into an industrial looking room full of scrap metal and shelves of machine parts. It was straight out of a horror movie where the blonde girl always gets killed. AND THEN they informed us we would be wearing blacked out masks as we maneuvered our way around the room. Awesome.

The dancer girls & I were less than thrilled. They took our class back up the lawsuit worthy stairs & split us into groups of four. First you put on an air tank like a backpack & strap it on tight. Next you check the air gage & put in the mouth piece so you can breathe. Then they put a blacked out mask on my face. I literally couldn't see anything and with a thick hood thing covering my head, along with the fact that I sounded like Darth Vader because i was breathing through the gross mouth piece I couldn't hear anything either. To put it nicely, I was not a happy camper. Luckily we all make it safely through the maze.

Of course the joy of surviving the metal labyrinth was short lived. We moved up to the bow of the ship to learn how to use a fire extinguisher. That was pretty amusing. & Don't worry, there's a video.

After class we finally made it to the beach! This was my favorite Costa Maya day. Practically the entire cast was there & it was just a gorgeous day! That night we went to watch The Second City comedy troupe perform. I've been obsessed with The Second City for years & now I'm friends with some of their members! Thumbs up.

November 21. Wednesday.
We were in Belize and Jessica & I got to sleep in. I went to the gym & got some work done before Shout. Backstage during the show Sophie & I did our make up really silly. Yes, I am a professional.

November 22. Thursday.
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, so this day was hard. We were in Roatan. I got to start off the day to the a blaring alarm & men pounding in all the doors in our hallway while yelling "fire"!! I really hate boat drill. Then I worked for a little & Martina, Jess & I got off the ship to find free Wifi. I got to call my family & was super homesick hearing my parents & Carter's voices. If people didn't already know this was my first ship contract I'm sure the mascara streaked down my face gave me away as I walked up the gangway. Then the girls & I laid out on the top deck. I blogged & they napped. We weren't allowed to make reservations in any of the specialty restaurants as a cast, so we improvised & had a big family dinner in the buffet. It was cute & made everyone happy. & That night we all hung out in the lounge after the singers performed their broadway cabaret. The poster board pumpkins & turkeys taped to the walls were terribly depressing.

November 23. Friday.
Cozumel! Safety class that morning. Fun. Then we booked it over to the No Name Bar that we always go to & laid out all afternoon. Back on the boat we napped, I worked a little, we grabbed dinner & got ready for the White Hot party. Afterwards jessica & I went to Martina's room, ate pizza, & cuddled while watching "Dolphin Tale". I cry every time. Anyways, this week was fun because there were so many families on board & kids running around all the time!

November 24. Saturday.
Sea day. Yet another safety class. & Then I worked at the art auction & got ready for elements that night. That show will never stop being challenging. The costumes are disintegrating. Five months left.

No comments:

Post a Comment