Saturday, January 26, 2013

Week Ten.

PART ONE of CHRISTMAS WEEK!
You better go fix yourself a beverage and a snack. This is going to be a long one, ladies & gentlemen.

December 23. Sunday.
This was the day I had been anxiously waiting for! The Dvornik clan was about to take over the Norwegian Star for the entire week! That morning i could hardly contain my excitement, so I didn't even try. I hopped off the ship & over to a fabulous restaurant for breakfast and mimosas with James & Rosie. (Yes, I spend every Sunday with them. They're pretty neat.) Then we got some shopping done in the French quarter, all the while I was receiving excited text messages from my mother on the clan's every move as they got closer to the port. Stone said everyone was annoyed with her because she couldn't stop squealing. Hilarious.

I couldn't wait any longer so I headed back to the ship. I was so excited I didn't even put away my shopping bags before planting myself at the gangway to wait for them. The whole family had to wait in a security line before boarding the ship that rivaled an amusement ride line at Disney. I passed the time by dancing on the gangway with some Youth Counselors dresses as elves for about an hour. Suddenly, in the glass tunnel bridge that connects the seventh floor of the ship to the port, I spotted a curly haired bouncy woman waving ecstatically at me. THEY WERE FINALLY HERE!! Stoney half pranced, half bounced down the gangway into my arms while screaming and clapping the entire time. The elves got out of the way. Patrick was there in his sailor costume & got hugged too! Gracie, like a gentle little puppy, and Carter, like a young politician, enveloped me in hugs next. Daddy Skip filmed the whole thing and then took his turn. GrandMother and GrandDaddy brought up the rear poised and elegantly, of course. It was so exciting to finally be surrounded by my beautiful family!

I helped them find their rooms where plates of chocolate covered strawberries were waiting since they were on the VIP list. Later, I met them on the pool deck for the "sail away" performance. Stoney bounced into the library where the cast was waiting & hugged James and Rosie immediately. After they performed, we ate a late lunch in the buffet which GrandDaddy promptly renamed "The Trough".

That night we had two "Welcome Aboard" shows because the ship was at full capacity & my family came to the second one. Throughout the show the Cruise Director involves different audience members and in typical Dvornik fashion, they stole the show. The "Grands" had been married the longest out of all the audience members & GrandMother was given a diamond pendent necklace. When GrandDaddy was asked what the trick is to staying married for 53 years he responded "keep the champagne cold!" He couldn't have given a more perfect answer because they then gave him a bottle of champagne! Later, at the end of the welcome show Carter was brought onstage as part of a funny trick. The cruise director puts four guys from the audience in chairs arranged in a square. Each guy is facing a different direction and they all lean back so their back is on the lap of the guy behind them. Then the chairs get taken away & they're stuck in that silly position. The clan went to bed after the show & Daddy went with me to the midnight buffet. We talked up there for a long time. It doesn't quite compare to our kitchen in Florida but we made it work. Overall, it was a funny & random first day.

December 24. Monday.
Christmas Eve & Sea day! I worked at the shopping talk & half of the family found me there in the theater. Stoney walked in because she heard my name over the microphone & there aren't usually many other Teale's running around. Afterwards we woke up the three sleeping bears & grabbed lunch. The whole clan wanted to catch the magic show that afternoon & then I gave them a tour of my domain, the dressing rooms! Grace & I stayed for the Xmas show rehearsal while everyone retired to their cabins for a nap.

That evening the whole family & I dressed up and went to a VIP reception the Captain had invited us to. I love showing off my clan! Afterwards, I ushered them into the theater for the spectacular Christmas show! It was a special night not only because it was Christmas Eve but also because they got to see a show I'd styled & costume designed. I love sharing my creative projects with my family. The theater was standing room only and received a standing ovation! After the performance, all seven of us piled into the Grands cabin to exchange gifts! It really was gift enough just to have everyone there.

I hated leaving them, but I needed to head backstage to check on everything before the final show. Some of my family came back for the second performance. Another packed house & standing O! It really was a beautiful show. James & Rosie did a phenomenal job creating something that touched so many people. After the show the cast had a Secret Santa gift exchange outside the dressing room. Lots of screaming & flying wrapping paper. Then I ordered room service in my parents cabin and de-briefed with them about everything. It was a wonderful night.

December 25. Tuesday.
Christmas Day in Costa Maya!!
The cast had all made plans to go to Forty Cannons, the beach front restaurant we always go to. James previously arranged for a giant table to be set up for our Christmas lunch there. The Grands stayed on the ship but the rest of my family & I met on the gangway and headed into the port to grab a taxi. Normally that's no problem but this week with our ship at capacity and a Disney ship docked next to us, the line to get into a taxi was insane. We were finally able to pile into a charter bus so full that we had to stand in the isle. I felt like we were back in Bangkok. Plus I was carrying a giant wrapped box for another gift exchange which just added to the humor of the situation.

The five of us finally made it to the restaurant and settled in for lunch with the entire cast. I love watching my worlds collide, especially since my family always makes such an effort to connect with the people I'm with. This specific instance was extra fantastic because my cast is extremely rambunctious and full of strong diverse personalities. I don't think that when I was younger and Daddy Skip would encourage me to always surround myself with interesting people that he was imagining one day spending a major holiday in Mexico with a group of eccentric entertainers. Actually, never mind. Have you met my family? He's with a group of eccentric entertainers everyday!

Lunch was delicious and full of love & community. Mama Stoney hugged and made friends with everyone. Grace & James enjoyed making fun of me together. Carter was confused as to why two of the dancers were wearing heels at the beach. Daddy engaged in a deep conversation with two of the ship's engineers. The white elephant gift exchange was hilarious & I got a three foot, 3D, cardboard build it yourself shark from Patrick!

Earlier in the month Rosie had the idea for us to decorate this big dead tree in the beach with little ornaments. So after lunch we climbed the tree and hung our little decorations. Then a group of us played catch in the ocean for awhile. On our way back to the ship Daddy bought us ice cream & it felt nice to be taken care of again. It was a perfect day in paradise.

That evening we joined GrandMother and GrandDaddy for dinner in the Aqua restaurant. Family dinners are always hilarious, especially this one as we debriefed about the day we'd just had. Afterwards, stuffed and happy, we went to the theater to see the Russian aerialist couple's show.

I don't usually slow down long enough for reflection, but this Christmas season I paused and tried to absorb it all. So much has changed in my life this past year and its amazing to see how God's plan has unfolded. I am thankful for the creative people I get to work with and for my budding career. I am also extremely thankful for my community and unceasingly supportive family. This life is pretty beautiful!

& Stay tuned for part two of the Dvo family vacation!























No comments:

Post a Comment