Thursday, January 10, 2013

Never Never Land.

The day my family left the ship after cruising with me the week of Christmas I was very sad. Christmas was over and they were gone. We had such a fabulous time together & I've never been good at goodbyes. One time I read somewhere that I miss you" in English translates into "you are absent from me" in French. I don't know if that's grammatically correct, but it's true in my life.

Anyways, I just found this paragraph I'd written that day when I returned to the ship. I'll admit that at the time I was listening to Taylor swift and crying. Not dramatic at all.

December 31.
When I told the captain I was sad because my family was gone he replied with "you aren't a little girl anymore. You're a woman now." Wow. At first I was like, I guess he's right. They didn't drop me off at summer camp..this is my job and I need to get over it. Even though I don't feel like an adult and still don't really understand the whole 401K thing, I am a "grown up" now.

But then I decided that is total baloney. I accept that I have entered a new chapter of my life and I suppose I'm technically an adult but I will never let go of the little girl inside of me. I never want to grow out of the way my eyes get ginormous when I'm excited, or how I adore the Disney Princesses.

My mom will always be the most beautiful woman and my dad will always be my superhero. I'll never be too old to hold my granddaddys hand on a walk or to let my grandmother take me shopping. I'll absolutely never be to old for movie marathon sleepovers on the couch with my siblings.

I will never stop being amazed by the simple miracle of getting to live a life I adore for another day. And I hope I'll always be able to love the people I'm surrounded by so fiercely that I just can't help but cry when saying goodbye.


No comments:

Post a Comment