Friday, January 4, 2013

Week Seven.

December 2. Sunday.
This was the week everyone was sick. In the span of five days over 300 crew members went to see the doctor. Gross. On the bright side, that Sunday I finally got to be reunited with my college friend Kaci! She was a senior with a costume design emphasis at Samford when I transferred there and she took me under her wing. After graduation she moved back to New Orleans & we've stayed in touch!

The cruise line mail system isn't very efficient so Kaci graciously said that we could have costumes for the Christmas show shipped to her studio. So Kaci picked up James, Rosie, & I from the port with all of our boxes piled in the trunk of her little car. She took us to lunch at this amazing local artsy restaurant that I think was called Elizabeth's. Their specialty is candied praline bacon. And then I had a salmon and brie grilled cheese. Unbelievable. After brunch we wandered around some cool antique stores in that area of town. I can't remember the name of the neighborhood but everyone there looked like they only shop in vintage clothing stores and probably own record players.

During brunch a freaky discovery was made that two years ago while Kaci was interning with a costume designer in NYC that she helped construct the Elements costumes currently in my possession. Too crazy. I really have followed in her footsteps!

Kaci dropped us off back at the port and we headed straight to sound check. I was very upset because I had been waiting for two weeks for a box from my mom to arrive and after our third dress rehearsal, it did!! Jubilation!

December 3. Monday.
Everyone was sick. But Jess & I powered through and woke up to work the shopping talk and art auction. Getting paid to be friendly. We are troopers.

That night we had two Band On The Run performances. Being backstage during a show isn't glamorous. It's chaotic, a little scary, and hilarious. I'll explain...it's chaotic because the cast is running around from one side to the other to make their entrances on time. Sometimes a zipper will break or a costume will be forgotten and then I hear my name called out in a panic. Its scary because its so dark and everyone is running around having to dodge the giant magic illusions that are stored back there.

Backstage is hilarious because between dance numbers eight sweaty bodies run off stage full force with literally 60 seconds to change and costumes start flying everywhere. Modesty is not a word that can exist in our vocabulary. Quick changing a 6 foot tall English man from a white disco suit into a village people construction worker costume in under a minute while dancers dressed like 1950s pin up sailors are running around you will never not be funny.

December 4. Tuesday.
Costa maya! Martina, Jess, & I had lunch at Senor Frogs. I ate a burrito the size of a small dog. It was amazing and I regretted it. Martina went back to the ship & Jess and I were feeling so lazy that we collapsed in the closest beach chairs we could find. That night we dressed up and went out for dinner with Patrick & Jarrett at the French restaurant La Bistro.

December 5. Wednesday.
Belize. I worked on Elements and the Christmas show costumes all day. Everyone was in rehearsals for Christmas and we had a tech dress rehearsal for Burlesque.

December 6. Thursday.
Roatan. Shout was canceled because the girls were sick. It's an extremely vocally demanding show and they just couldn't do it.

December 7. Friday.
Cozumel. Sophie, Montana, Jess, & I decided to try out a new local restaurant James had found called "ile". The food was amazing & we had a relaxing day together just lounging on the balcony of the restaurant. & Later that night we had the White Hot party.

Jenna, one of the singers, had a family emergency so she flew home that day and returned two weeks later. We were all very concerned for her family and sad to lose her but luckily everything is ok now.

December 8. Saturday.
Sea day. I worked the art auction and spent the rest of the day getting everything ready for the show that night. Both Elements performances went well.

That show has been a true test of my character. I work so hard on restoring the costumes each week and then after they're used for two shows I have to fix everything all over again. It's easy to to your best on a single project that you walk away from when you're done. The challenge is in doing your best on a project, watching it get destroyed, and then doing your best all over again. I don't know if that made sense...but basically my sewing skills have improved through it all.































No comments:

Post a Comment