Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Week Thirteen.

Our second male dancer replacement, Rachard, arrived! This week consisted of a lot of pant hemming & cast rehearsals.

January 13. Sunday.
Before any crew member was allowed to get off the ship that morning the entire ship had to be sanitized. Thrilling. The cast finished sanitizing the theater & then Rosie and I camped out at the gangway so we could run off the ship. James was sick of the French Quarter so he left us and went to explore the uptown area. Rosie & I picked up stuff at CVS and enjoyed a fabulous lunch together at a tiny Italian restaurant.

Back on board we had tech & the shows. I gave James lessons in how to be a sorority girl. He is fascinated by American greek life. Too funny. That night I continued to work on costume alterations for the new cast members.

January 14. Monday.
I worked the shopping talk and skipped the art auction so I could chain myself to my sewing machine. I worked the entire day. The BOTR dress rehearsal & performances went great with our three new cast members! Most of the cast was exhausted but still went out that night to celebrate.

January 15. Tuesday.
Costa maya! We had a relaxing day laying on the beach & eating quesadillas. That night Jess & I stayed in with our pack of stuffed animals and watched a movie in bed.

January 16. Wednesday.
Belieze. Jarrett woke me up early to say goodbye. He was leaving the ship permanently that day. I was very sad to see him go, especially since so many of our friends had just left on Sunday.

Jess & I hung out on the pool deck that afternoon and napped. That night's Shout performance was special because it was Hannah's debut as Red Girl! We all went out dancing in Spinnaker afterwards. During Shout, Montana and I constructed the cardboard 3D shark Patrick gave me for Christmas. The sharks name is Patrick Bruce and he lives in the dressing room.

January 17. Thursday.
This was an uneventful day. Jess got moved to the role of assistant section leader during boat drill. Then we had an entertainment meeting & cast weigh ins. I had several fittings and worked on altering Elements the rest of the afternoon.

January 18. Friday.
The weather was overcast and chilly in Cozumel that day but the dancers & I all went to No Name anyways. Montana even made a trip back to the ship to get us sweatshirts. I feverishly blogged away because Mama Stoney was going to die if I didn't post something soon.

The Wifi at No Name was terrible so I walked down the street to a cool boutiquey restaurant, ile. James & Rosie were there, the WiFi was super fast, and the margaritas were phenomenal. Dream life. Back on board, the three of us bundled up and met in the Red Lion pub to play a board game. So fun. I adore my cruise ship family.

That night Sophie, Montana, and I ordered pizza and camped out in the dressing room to get some work done. The cast had an Elements rehearsal late that night so Sophie curled up in the corner for a quick nap. Naturally, once she was sound asleep Montana & I built a fort around her. She was very confused when she woke up. Hilarious.

But seriously, do I have one of the coolest jobs or what?! I get to play dress up whenever I want. I have 14 life size barbies to play with who also happen to be great friends. AND I never have to cook anything.

January 19. Saturday.
That morning we had a Elements dress rehearsal that went great. Afterwards at the art auction, the auctioneer was banging his gavel so hard my eardrums almost burst.

Then I locked myself out of my room & a security guard had to let me in. I noticed his name tag said he was from Nepal. So in an attempted to start a conversation I excitedly said that I'd never been to Nepal but I had ridden the Expedition Everest roller coaster at Disney's Animal Kingdom park. I think I even threw in the word "Sherpa" somewhere. He wasn't impressed.

That night, before Elements had even begun, disaster inevitably struck. The room service guy dropped an entire tray of fruits, veggies, and a pitcher or orange juice down the main staircase stage left. I was sitting in the house when I heard the mysterious crash and immediately started laughing like a hyena out of exhaustion & fear. It was a disaster zone but only one costume got hit which was a blessing. I hustled to mop up the spill as dancers hopped around me pre-setting their props. It was a very Cinderella moment. Don't worry, I've included pictures of everything below.

Then during the first show in the second to last number, Jessica was accidentally kicked in the face by another dancer and had to be drug offstage. I helped her slowly limp up to the dressing room. Then I got a call to run up to the catwalk and stop Caleb from dropping the web Jess would usually be spinning from during the finale. I sprinted up two flights of stairs and crawled into the catwalk and yelled "Nooooo" right as Caleb finished lowering the web down. It was like a slow motion scene from a movie. (Web is a rope similar to the ones kids had to climb in gym class in those old 80s films. In Elements two web ropes are lowered from either side of the catwalk. Jess & Montana climb up them and proceed to hang on, gracefully, as they get spun around in a circle. YouTube it!) Anyways, our new dancer Hannah is trained in web and when the cast realized Jess was out Hannah decided in a split second that she was going to go up on the web! Finally to wrap up the show, Ron hit his knee on stage and bled all over his white finale pants. His pants looked like they'd just been worn in a fight scene in one of the Godfather movies. And that was only the first show!! The second show went a little better other than Jason hurting his back. Oh Elements, how we loath you.












































No comments:

Post a Comment