Friday, August 2, 2013

Little Liar


I wrote this still story back in March & just found it on my old iPhone. Enjoy!

Back in the fall of 1996 (I think) I was a spunky first grader at Skycrest Christian School. Grandmother Dvornik was a teacher at our "rival" grade school, St. Paul's. One day I remember her taking me to a volleyball game between our two schools at St. Paul's. The gymnasium was huge and all the players were in middle school so they seemed like the coolest big kids ever. I felt so cool sitting next to her in the bleachers proudly sporting my plaid school jumper.

I don't remember a lot from when I was that young but I vividly remember walking to the car with grandmother after the game and her noticing that a Skycrest player was walking to the car next to us. Grandmother asked if I knew her. I didn't, I only recognized her from admiring the cool eight graders from afar across the playground. But in order to seem cooler to Grandmother, I lied and said of course I knew her. I quickly scrambled into the backseat of the volvo and turned around in horror to see Grandmother walk over to the older girl. She explained that her granddaughter was in the car and wanted to say hi since she knew me. I remember sitting in the back seat so embarrassed as the girl peered through the door and shook her head in confusion that no she didn't know me before she turned and walked away. 

I guess this experience should have taught me not to lie. It didn't. It did teach me that first of all I shouldn't be scared or intimidated by people. Which was an art I didn't master for almost another decade. It also taught me to always be friendly and compassionate to little kids. I can't tell you how many times I've glanced down at a kid I don't know and made a silly face or simply smiled and their grin has lit up the room. This experience plus a million others where I've watched, almost mesmerized , by the "big kids" at church or school has really made me more aware of my interactions with other people. I'm twenty two, a college grad, and I wear stilettos that my mother would never buy me nine years ago. Yeah, I'm pretty cool. The point is, even though I don't feel like a scary big kid, I am, and little kids are watching, and I want them to feel special and noticed. Not scared. 

Most importantly always remember people won't remember what you say but they'll always remember the way you make them feel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment