Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Daddy's girl.

Last week, on April 16, was my amazing father's birthday! Instead of a conventional gift (he would rather know how much money we saved by not buying him something) or writing a super sappy post about him on social media (we all know being serious is not my style), I decided to dedicate a blog post to him. When I was thinking about my favorite moments with him and the things I love about Skip Dvornik I realized something. They almost all involve his laugh.

I love making my dad laugh and watching his face wrinkle up in amusement at a situation. So here are some silly and sweet memories about my Daddy Skip! They aren't the most epic stories that have ever happened but they're the little random moments that seem to stick in my head.

1. Practically every single night of my childhood, from brith until I was probably sixteen, my dad would tuck Grace and I into our bunk-bed and sing us "Amazing Grace". Since his arms are so long he was able to hold both of our hands while he sang. Then he would pray over us before tip-toeing out of the room.

2. I was fifteen years old and the proud owner of a shiny new Florida learners permit. I remember being so nervous as I awkwardly slipped behind the wheel of our family's teal '92 Volvo. (The car was affectionately named "The Teale Mobile".) Before he would let me turn on the ignition, Daddy Skip turned to me and uttered words I have (almost) never forgotten. "You are behind the wheel of a 2 ton machine that could kill someone upon impact. Always keep that in mind." I wasn't very excited to drive after that.

3. When I hit high school and suddenly had a packed schedule and a social life, Daddy Skip realized that my college days were quickly approaching and implemented a new tradition. It was originally called "Family Night" and when we got older & snarky it was lovingly renamed "Forced Family Fun". One night a weekend, no matter what our friends were up to, we weren't allowed to make plans and had to hang out with the family. It wasn't as horrible as Grace & I made it seem in our heads. Anyways, after awhile it became routine and family pizza/movie nights are one of my favorite things.

4. Thanksgiving week my junior year of high school we decided to have a movie marathon one night. Grace, Martha (one of Gracie's best friends), and I set up camp in the TV room and settled in with bowls of ice cream. What began as a sleepover with a few chick-flicks suddenly developed into a three and a half day long hard core movie marathon. We only left the house to make Blockbuster runs or pick up more food. I'm pretty sure I wore the same sweatpants and exclusively slept on the couch the entire time. By the end of our legendary film binge I think we had watched upwards of twenty different movies. Insane. It's one of my favorite FFF memories.

5. When Grace and I were super little I remember we would have dance parties with Daddy Skip in our kitchen all the time. One of our favorite songs to dance to was called "Louisiana Saturday Night". The chorus lyrics said to "kick off your shoes and throw them on the floor". Grace and I thought this was hilarious. I remember we used to spike our shoes onto the hardwood floor like miniature football players. Dad always laughed.

6. Grace and I went through a phase were we really loved pirates. One time on a family trip to Disney's Magic Kingdom, towards the end of the day we excitedly bounced towards the "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride. Dad calmly explained that he would wait outside because it would be impossible for him to enjoy a ride about men who raped and pillaged villages for a living.

7. Around the time I was 18, Grace was 16, and Carter was 11, the game "FarmVille" was really popular on Facebook. (I'll admit I had three separate farms..) Anyways, the whole family was in the minivan and Carter was fulfilling his duties of being the annoying little brother. When Daddy Skip could no longer tolerate the shenanigans going on in the back seat he called out, "Carter! If you don't stop annoying your sisters I am going to dump poison all over your farm!". Naturally, everyone erupted in laughter.

8. Family dinner around the big dining room table is one of my Dad's favorite things. No one is allowed to answer the phone while we are eating and everyone has to at least pretend to try whatever unique vegetable side dish our Mom concocted. When we were really young it was routine for an "After Dinner Show" to be performed. I don't remembered what our earliest shows entailed but it probably involved Carter singing an Elvis classic while Grace played the harp or did cartwheels. Most likely I recited a dramatic monologue or preformed a new cheer. (Go Warriors!) And on one or more occasion, I showed off my extensive Beanie Baby collection which was meticulously organized by species and habitat. Obviously.

9. At one particular family dinner, I remember Grace and I were bickering about something and she just wouldn't say what I wanted her to. So I dramatically fell off my chair, used the table to shakily pull myself back up and declared in confusion that somehow my sister and I had switched bodies! I then gave a silly speech, pretending to be Grace and stayed in character pretty well. Grace then copied me and pretended that I had been transported into her body. I don't remember anything that was said that night or even how old we were. I just remember Daddy Skip's thunderous laugh and killer smile.

10. My Dad always says "Never forget who you are and whose you are." That little reminder gives me strength when I'm feeling down. I am proud to be a Dvornik and blessed beyond measure to be a child of the King. And I am forever thankful that God decided to give me to an earthly father who is enthusiastic about living, always encouraging, speaks truth, and will never stop loving me unconditionally.

Happy (belated) Birthday Dad!!!



































No comments:

Post a Comment